Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dr. Stevens the Dermatologist

Went to the dermatologist today that Dr. Brochan referred me to. Dr. Stevens, my new dermatologist, was very kind and very knowledgeble. She examined my scalp for a long time, read the test results from my last doctor visit, and questioned me thoroughly about diet, what shampoo I use, if I eat a lot of red meat, if I drink a lot of soda, and so on.

She said the hair loss could be due to a high fat, high sugar diet. It's true, I do eat fast food and drink soda, but I think it's the average amount. Nothing too crazy, although I admit here that I am a huge fan of burger king. 

Then she said if it's not stress it could be a testosterone imbalance. 

By the time I walked out of there we had covered everything that "could be" causing my hair loss, but no definite answers. She was reluctant to prescribe anything because there were no definitive signs that my hair loss is from one thing or another.

What she did tell me is to go buy 5% Minoxidil. (aka ROGAINE). I'm not excited about the idea of using rogaine, but I'm desperate. She said it's primarily for people who just started losing their hair, and it stops it from getting worse, but in rare occasions a bald man can actually grow some of his hair back. Guess I'll try it. 

Running total: $130

I have now paid 3 doctor's co-pays for $45 each.


Feeling ok today

Today I'm feeling ok. After I closed up the comic book shop, I grabbed a beer with my good friend Jim Varney. Jim's the guy who sold me the insurance policy on the shop. We hit it off (he was a fan of spider man) and became friends. 

Hanging out with a good friend always makes me feel a little better. But really what I want more than anything else is a girlfriend. But I feel like I can't get a girlfriend until I get over my confidence issues. And I can't get over my confidence issues until I get over my baldness issues. Sigh...

0 comments:

Post a Comment